Monday, June 18, 2007

Stay-at-home Daddy signing on...

Greetings All! Stevo here. I'm currently enjoying perhaps the greatest perk of not only my job, but of any job that has ever existed: summer vacation! The past few days, Sandy and I have experienced a bit of a role reversal. She's been teaching a class at the U of M, which has been a more than full-time gig and I've been staying home with the Bry. So I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to make my own entry into Blogging the Bry.

I must admit that the prospect of staying at home full-time alone with him had me a bit alarmed. What, exactly were we going to do? Biking? Nope. Doesn't have the motor coordination yet. Bowling? Nope. Those finger holes are full of germs and the ball is way too heavy. Video games? Nope. That will turn him into an addict and warp him. Plus Sandy would kill me. Sit around waving a rattle in the air for eight hours in a row? Bingo. You can see why I was a bit concerned about boredom. Well, I'm pleased to report that the Bry and I have had a great week hanging out together.

Still, I couldn't help but feel like perhaps he missed his Mom. Like there was something he wanted that I simply was unable to provide...

So we ended up devoting a good chunk of our time visiting Mommy. We loaded up the Jeep Liberty all-terrain (and ever so manly) stroller and headed to the U.

The timing of this visit worked out quite well, as Bryson had also been invited to come speak as a guest lecturer in a marine ecology course. Here he is presenting his research on the effect of photophosphorylation of protein kinase C on the photosynthetic activity of foraminiferans in the benthic zone of the Antarctic Ocean.

So all told, it's been a pretty good week. I feel very lucky to have a job that allows me to spend so much time at home, getting to know my little man. There's nothing like waking up to a tiny hand punching me in the face and then rolling over to a great big smile. Or hearing his little squeals of delight as I toss him in the air or tackle him on the ground (Don't worry, Mom- I'm being very careful!). Or looking down while pushing the Jeep Liberty all-terrain stroller and seeing this little face looking up at me and smiling, as if saying "Hey, Pop! What's up?" He's a cute little man. I have a feeling we're going to have a great summer.

No comments: