Friday, August 31, 2007

Memories, Like the Corner of My Mind

Yesterday we all went to visit a friend who had her second baby, a girl, 5 days ago. She and her husband also have an almost 3-year old daughter. I had a chance to hold the wee one for a little bit. She was all scrunched up and wrinkly, eyes shut tight and fast asleep after having some milk. She was a "big" baby - born at 9 lbs, 8 oz - and yet, I felt like I could barely feel her in my arms as I held her. I can't remember Bry ever being that small, even though he got down to 6 lbs, 14 oz after leaving the hospital and before my milk came in. I had also forgotten how sleepy and quiet newborns are. Watching Bry next to this teeny infant made me long just a little bit for the days when we didn't have to keep an eye out every second for Bry who might just be eating your shoe right now, or making a break for the cat's food dish. And the days when Bry wasn't trying to STAND UP while nursing, which makes for some chaotic feedings. Also, ouch.

I know that Steve doesn't see eye to eye with me on this reminiscing. I think when he looks back to Bry's early days he mostly remembers how fragile he seemed, especially as compared with his current daredevil ways. And in the end, I agree - I have no desire to push rewind and get back the itty bitty Bry whose entire repertoire of activities were eating, sleeping, pooping, and crying. The past few months have been a flurry of growth and other developmental spurts, the result being our amazing little man, who may still keep us up at all hours of the night, but who has won us over with his charm and wit. Pretty much every day Steve or I will turn to the other, smile, and say, "Bry was cute today." Because he was.

Preparing for his Abercrombie photo shoot.


No comments: